Hi Liam,

Yes, that's a nice post. Hisham shared this link with me yesterday, too,
but only now I had a chance to read it. I've a few comments.

Interestingly, the author builds packages with
prefix=/ro/pkgname-arch-version. We have done that in the past, and while
that works mostly fine for most projects, there are several packages that
do not behave as expected when built that way (and patching them can be a
PITA). The list of packages that needed patching prior to our adoption of
/System/Index included PostgreSQL and the printing stack -- the issue is
that third-party modules/extensions expect to be installed in the same
prefix as the main project, such as PostGIS and CUPS filters.

The need to fix search paths is also a side-effect of building packages
with disagreeing prefixes. Based on our experience over the years, it's not
worth to pursue that path. Most of the problems reported on that page would
probably go away if packages were built with --prefix=/ro and if a
unionfs-based sandbox were used to move installed files to
/ro/pkgname-arch-version.

Now, the idea of using self-contained package images is nice (and it
reminds me a bit of AppImage, which I really like). Putting this kind of
idea together in a distro is always challenging -- kudos to Michael for
trying this out. And it looks like Go is the programming language of choice
for Distri. Certainly much better than Bash, which we continue to embrace
to this day :-)

Lucas