+1 to what Dave said.  Don't use symlinks.  Embrace the GOPATH, and you'll
have a much better time.  I actually put all code in my GOPATH now, even
code that isn't Go.  It's just easier to find if I know to go look in the
right directory for the code's URL.

There's two easy hacks to avoid typing a lot for gopath:

1.) set GOPATH=HOME. Then your code will live under
~/src/github.com/youruser/   this is surprisingly easy to type after very
little time.

2.) If you're on Linux, an easy hack is to set CDPATH=$GOPATH/src then you
can type cd github.com/foo/proj and it'll go to the right place in your
gopath.  I do this and find it to be immensely useful, since I very often
want to jump from a random directory into a known place in my gopath.

Finally.. I find it hilarious to see one of my threads resurrected from 3.5
years ago.  Ahh how time flies.