On Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 9:12:54 AM UTC-4, Chad wrote:

> The appeal of generics is probably a false appeal.
>
> Then, if you accept the trilemma described at
http://research.swtch.com/generic, that puts you in favor of "slow
programmers"... just kidding. I went back to read all the comments from
that blog post and found that it could have been written yesterday. Not
much has changed since 2009. One commenter Rivorus
<http://www.blogger.com/profile/03014588465653251422> is very eloquent,
favoring generics and points convincingly to the Boost Graph Library as why
they are necessary. Others not so much. Pretty much like every thread on
this topic when it comes up.

But I think the key is that Go's target of server side development rarely
needs generics (think of Docker, Kubernetics, web server, etc.). However,
just last April, Ian Lance Taylor stated forcefully "Go should support some
form of generic programming. Generic programming enables the representation
of algorithms and data structures in a generic form, with concrete elements
of the code (such as types) factored out. It means the ability to express
algorithms with minimal assumptions about data structures, and vice-versa."
at https://github.com/golang/proposal/blob/master/design/15292-generics.md.

This leads me to conclude that there are whole areas of software
development that Go could impact significantly if it introduced generics. I
think someone already pointed this out earlier in the thread, that this
area is one of Libraries, Frameworks. This is an area of some controversy
in the Go community. See, for instance, Doug Cheney's blog post
at http://dave.cheney.net/2014/10/26/go-frameworks-and-ludditry.

But I'm with Ian on this point. Go needs it, but I'm content to wait for it
to be done well.