On Saturday, 16 July 2016 05:31:41 UTC-4, Jan Mercl wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 10:39 AM T L <tapi...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> > I know this result, but I just need the reason, not the result.
>
> The method set distinction of T vs *T allows to forbid calling methods
> intended to mutate the receiver (ie. receiver is *T) on the wrong receiver
> type (T). The later case would mutate the value (not the value that
> should be pointed to) stored _in_ the interface, not the value at the
> caller's site. Declaring the method receiver as *T forces callers to use
> the properly typed thing (*T instead T) they pass via interfaces as the
> compiler will reject the incorrect case.

Here's another way to think about it: the methods of T are the methods
appropriate for any *value* of type T.  The methods of *T are the methods
appropriate for a *variable* of type T (the variable pointed to by the *T
pointer).  The methods of *T can read the value of the variable, but they
can also update it.  So you can do more with a variable than a
(non-addressable) value, and that's why *T has more methods than T.