On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 10:14:26 -0700 (PDT)
Matt Aimonetti <mattaimone...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are a lot of concepts we take for granted such as
> functions/methods, the main func, strings etc.. Then a lot of the
> exercises are quite technical/math related instead of being more day
> to day based. I love the tour but I think it works best if you're
> already a developer.

I really don't want to discourage you but are you really sure Go is a
good candidate to be the someone's first PL?  I, for one, doubt so.

I mean, some people (me included) learnt programming "from the bottom
up" by starting with some assembler and then gradually moving "upwards";
when you're progressing along this vector, concepts like memory layout,
pointers and difference between []T and []*T (and what the hell the
slice really is) are not that hard to grasp.

But when you start from another edge of this complexity continuum,
these concepts _will_ be challenging, and IMO Go was explicitly
designed to not be too high-level: it's definitely simpler than C but
keep in mind that it was actually envisioned to convert C++ programmers
so it still gives you enough raw power and control to be closer to the
hardware and the OS.

What I'm leading to, is that supposedly before actually learning Go,
a wannabe programmer starting with no prior CS-related knowledge should
start with something like ABC [1] to grasp the very basic concepts like
values, variables, functions, parameter passing, manipulating
collections etc.

But what I'm afraid even more is that tutoring is like parenting:
everyone thinks they know how to do it, but that's a delusion.
I'm not a professional tutor and I understand that I actually have no
idea what happens in the minds of those making their first steps in
learning how to program.  (That's why I value very much the feedback
provided by Daniel Skinner--that was the real first-hand experience.)
I hence think that ideally you should get in touch with some person who
has learning expertise.  Talking with seasoned programmers on this topic
appears to be somewhat pointless to me. ;-)

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_(programming_language)