To be more precise, I am not thinking about a package manager but rather
more of a kind of package registration interface. A bit like godoc. But
working by submissions of vcs hosts links (thus allowing mirror links).

Backward compatibility requirements are making things simple already: the
latest "revision" should have the priority.