I suggest you also take a look at the Go spec that describes method values:
https://golang.org/ref/spec#Method_values
It seems to click on what you want to do.
Also, take a look at this article from Alex Edwards:
http://www.alexedwards.net/blog/organising-database-access more
specifically, the "Dependency Injection" part. Look at how he takes the
method booksIndex from a struct and is still able to reference to *Env in
the handler.

Regards,
Bruno