Ok so yes I recently installed clang on this archlinux box.  The previous
go binaries were built with gcc/g++.

So to clarify and save others time:

1)to build using gcc/g++:
CC=/usr/bin/gcc CXX=/usr/bin/g++ GOROOT_BOOTSTRAP=/root/go1.7rc5 ./make.bash

2)to build using clang/clang++:
CC=/usr/bin/clang CXX=/usr/bin/clang++ GOROOT_BOOTSTRAP=/root/go1.7rc5
./make.bash

By explicitly setting those CC and CXX variables, I was able to revert to
my original gcc/g++ built golang binaries in order to be consistent since
my earlier binaries were built with gcc/g++ I prefer to stay on that path
for the moment.