On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Randall Farmer <rand...@wawd.com> wrote:
> I think, in general, a great thing about Go is most stdlib packages scale
> well--net/http's still a good pick when you get real traffic, say. Adding
> stdlib sorts that are faster for large collections seems in that spirit.
> They'd be no more niche than, say, index/suffixarray or big.Float. (I love
> that Go has those, 'cause they're cool fundamental capabilities; I'm just
> saying maybe faster sorts for larger datasets are, too.)

FWIW, I don't think citing index/suffixarray is a compelling
precedent. If I recall correctly, that package was added to the stdlib
long before Go 1.0, because godoc needed it, and we didn't have
anywhere else to put code at the time. Similarly, big.Float isn't
widely used, but math/big is in the stdlib because big.Int is needed
by some crypto, and again, this was all done before Go 1.0.

Personally speaking, I don't think it'd meet the threshold, but I'm
open to dissenting opinions.