I took Thomas’s “loony-land” comment as jest.

Presumably we all study the Turing Award lectures, each being the computer
science community’s way of passing a life’s celebrated contributions to the
future. In Dr. Iverson’s Turing Award lecture, “Notation as a Tool of Thought,”
he explores the link between expression of ideas and the power to create and
advance ideas. Essentially, that “language shapes thought,” one of the beliefs
I hold. His use of minus and negative there are not the only “loony” (perhaps
meaning “other than ordinary”) ideas in what remains to this day an
intellectual treasure.

I have Iverson’s high-school textbook which uses the notation. You see the
notation it as APL, but in fact it was created as a way to describe a computer
architecture (the IBM 360 then in development) in a formalism that allowed
proofs of operation and implementation. I studied those books too. It is not so
uncommon that an at first bewildering notation can come to feel a comfortable
home. This is true of music, mathematics, emacs, and much more. Rob Pike’s Ivy
is APL themed if you want to explore that. The latest descendent of APL is “J,”
itself a descendent of “Dictionary APL” which was Iverson’s effort to use
ordinary notation to lower the initial threshold for new programmers.

Michael