On Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 8:44:57 AM UTC-7, Eric Johnson wrote:

> On 8/31/16 2:04 AM, Harald Weidner wrote:
> > The Java counterpart of this benchmark does not use the Java build-in
> > maps, but imports a map implementation for fixed data types from the
> > fastutil project.
> >
> > http://fastutil.di.unimi.it/
> I hadn't noticed that. That would seem to violate the spirit of the test:
> "The work is to use the built-in or library hash table implementation to
> accumulate count values - lookup the count for a key and update the
> count in the hash table. Don't optimize away the work."

The description of k-nucleotide does specify that the use of third-party
hash table libraries is allowed. See
the
http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/knucleotide-description.html#knucleotide

:

Some language implementations have hash tables built-in; some provide a
> hash table as part of a collections library; some use a third-party hash
> table library. (For example, use either khash
> <http://attractivechaos.github.io/klib/> or CK_HT
> <http://concurrencykit.org/doc/ck_ht_init.html> for C language
> k-nucleotide programs.) The hash table algorithm implemented is likely to
> be different in different libraries.
> The work:
> The work is to use the built-in *or library hash table* [emphasis mine]
> implementation to accumulate count values - lookup the count for a key and
> update the count in the hash table.

I tried substituting my own offheap hashtable, open source/available at
https://github.com/glycerine/offheap

The version specialized for uint32->uint32 runs about 25% faster on my
laptop. I submitted it here:

https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=315482&group_id=100815&atid=413122

Jason