The map-reduce systems I've worked with in the past bundle up the map
and reduce functions in a binary, distribute it, and then communicate
with it by an IPC or RPC system. This lets them take advantage of the
operating system to control resource allocation. (Given how popular
containers are becoming, I expect someone will do it with Linux
containers to provide even better isolation.) I suspect this is a more
flexible approach than using plugins.