On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 1:51:49 PM UTC+2, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> > I have the following questions concerning the usage of the -msan flag:
> > a.) Are these the preferred arguments to use the -msan flag?
>
> Looks OK to me.

I am wondering if they are really needed, and if yes, why are they not
included at compile time by the Go compiler? Also, would it make sense to
add -fsanitize-memory-track-origins as -msan-track-origins flag to Go build?

> b.) Why are there no line numbers in the traces?
>
> I don't know.  Try adding -g to CGO_CPPFLAGS to see if it makes a
> difference.
>
> > c.) Any advice on how I can debug such problems?
>
> If -g doesn't help then I think you'll have to use objdump or gdb or
> lldb to look at the code at the failing address.  Those tools should
> at least let you map that address back to a source line.  Note that
> the problem does not seem to be in Go code, which of course is
> unsurprising.

Unfortunately -g does not make a difference. However, you are right that
this is not a Go problem and I will create a bug report in the LLVM tracker.

> d.) What are the official minimum requirements for the -msan flag? (LLVM
> >=
> > 3.8? ...?)
>
> Yes, on GNU/Linux you need at least LLVM 3.8.  I don't know of any
> other requirements.

I am wondering if the version requirement should be added to the help text
of -msan? It currently states "enable interoperation with memory sanitizer.
Supported only on linux/amd64, and only with Clang/LLVM as the host C
compiler." I am also wondering why these conditions (as stated in
https://golang.org/misc/cgo/testsanitizers/test.bash ) are not checked
during compile time? Would that be a good Go addition?

Thanks for your answers. They are really helpful.

Cheers,
Markus