I want to start developing for Android, and would like your advice on that:
Where to start.

My background is Linux. I have a lot of programming experience. Mainly C
and Perl, followed by C and Python, and for the last five years it's mainly
Go. I did some Java programming for a few weeks, decades ago, and I didn't
like it.

I played around briefly with DroidScript http://droidscript.org/ a while
ago, but never used it for anything useful.

My first goal is to get to know Android as a developer, learn its concepts,
architecture, possibilities. What I am going to do with it is something I
don't know yet, but I don't want to limit myself by using the wrong
development platform. So, Android Studio would be the obvious choice. But:
Java.

How about Go Mobile? Is that useful as a starting point, or should I try to
get to know the system first using Android Studio? What are the
capabilities of Go Mobile? Can it do all the stuff a native app can do,
system calls, events, graphics, sound, sensors, communications, all that
stuff? Can I use all the Java libraries for Android that I assume must be
available out there?

Or should I use another platform all together? There seem to be so many. A
quick search got me Adobe PhoneGap, Apache Cordova, DroidScript,
NativeScript, AppDeck...

(If things can run on iPhone too... I don't care.)

I would like to hear your advice on what you think is the best platform.
But what's important too is: does it have good tutorials, that explain
concepts and architecture, as well as how to do practical stuff.