Thanks for those links - I started using a something similar to what is
described as Smit's algorithm (Slab method) in the Amy Williams paper. My
code us subtly different to that usually given because I check the "back
face" intersection first -for an early terminate ; this basically involves
swapping x_plane_min and x_plane_max early if v.X<0 .. then looking
explicitly for the back plane intersection points first..  as well as being
slightly more verbose it seems to have the side effect of avoiding the
divide by -0 problem described in the paper. (misses ray parallel to plane,
catches adjoining edges) I think my version is sub-optimal but not a
priority right now.

I've noticed that the divides in all the "slab" methods could be multiplied
out - this which inverts the boundary condition if the divisor was
negative, but can be caught using

if (multiplied_x < undivided_boundary_value) ==(divisor>0)

instead of the vanilla.

if (x < boundary_value)

not only does this avoid any division (hurray!), but also reduces the
cumulative float errors - the number of operations on both sides of the
condition of is roughly equal, rather than being unbalanced with most on
one side in the un-premultuplied version.. It's a little more complicated,
but divides are, afaik, still slow even on modern hardware, which is
something I suspect may be a bottleneck within the function.. I need to
bench this.. It may mitigate but doesn't solve the float precision problem.

The second link is a nice optimisation for simd too. Optimisation for this
function isn't a big priority for me because I'm primarily using it it get
the intersection point for a bounding volume for a "3d texture" (or
'non-sparse voxel array' in other words) - my main routine steps through
the voxel grid front to back using a different algorithm.

PBRT looks good - wasn't aware of it - found the pre-publication chapter
section 3.9.2 "CONSERVATIVE RAY–BOUNDS INTERSECTIONS" - though I didn't
proof read it it looks like it covers using calculated expected errors
(deltas) well.