Eric, imagine the following scenario:

You write a Java class that implements 2 different thirdparty interfaces
that are very similar (Thus single impl). One of those interfaces resides
in a jar that puts licensing limitations to your code/product. That becomes
a problem. Go gives you the option to implement the interface without
having the external dependency. Go code will still compile and run in
environments where that 3rd party library that hosts the interface is NOT
present. It will also support that 3rd party when it is present. But in
Java all deployments must have that 3rd party jar and that can limit your
commercial options. Working around this requires some acrobatics in Java
(separate implementations). This is one of the reasons I like go.

Regards,
Ali