What /u/spez did was not "inane" or "immature".  If he had replied to the
comments, insulting the commenter's mother's face or something, that would
be inane and immature.

Modifying a user's comments, putting words in their mouth, is fundamentally
a completely different thing.  It is intellectually dishonest,
unconscionable, disgusting.