On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 4:58 AM, Zlatko Čalušić <zcalu...@bitsync.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> and thanks for another great Go release!
> I have just one question, and it's not specific to this beta, but all Go
> betas and rc-s.
>
> I compile Go from repository like this:
>
> cd $HOME/src/go.googlesource.com/go
> git checkout -f master
> git clean -fdx
> git pull --ff-only
> git checkout -f go1.8beta1
> cd src && make.bash
>
> The resulting binary unfortunately is not labeled as go1.8beta1, but
> instead:
>
> go version *devel +41908a5* Thu Dec 1 02:54:21 2016 +0000 linux/amd64
>
> What follows next is that various Go software, where developers decided to
> explicitely test for Go version (and of course don't deal well with devel
> versions) fails to compile. One example is gopherjs, it's uncompilable with
> this beta version, unless I manually edit the source and remove gratuitous
> checks.
>
> The question is, how do I persuade the compiled beta to report version as
> go1.8beta1?

Because betas are just tags from the master branch, there is no way to
change the
VERSION file to read go1.8beta1. If you're going to report an issue, just
include the
full "go version" and it should be fine. If you insist on having go version
report go1.8beta1,
you can create a VERSION file at $GOROOT that read "go1.8beta1" and rebuild
Go.
However this is not recommended as git repository is a moving target and if
you
checkout a new revision without removing the VERSION file, the reported
version
would still be go1.8beta1, which will be really confusing.

However, if you download the go1.8beta1 source tarball, then the VERSION
file will
correctly indicate go1.8beta1.