Hi Seb,

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 7:23 AM, Seb Binet <seb.bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 4:44 PM, Jason E. Aten <j.e.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, December 26, 2016 at 4:18:45 PM UTC-5, Jason E. Aten wrote:
>>>
>>> Announcing: next generation serialization in Go:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/glycerine/zebrapack
>>>

>> Update: In addition to being friendly to many languages, by the latest
>> measurements ZebraPack is the fastest serialization format available,
>> beating out all competitors. See the benchmarks on the page above.
>>

> that's quite impressive!
> do you have benchmarks against colfer?
> it is the fastest library, according to: https://github.com/alecthomas/
> go_serialization_benchmarks#results

Thanks for pointing out colfer! I'm not familiar with it; it looks like a
recent addition.

I don't have spare time at the moment, but I would be happy to review a
pull request if you are interested in comparing to colfer.

> I used the same strategy than colfer for my WIP binary I/O library:
> https://github.com/go-hep/brio
> (except that, as you, the schema is in Go, not some external DSL like
> protobuf)
>
> being able to transfer on the wire, store and load types' schemas is
> really great.

Nice. I agree. It is super useful to have a representation of types that is
portable.

> do you think the schema part could be extracted as a standalone package,
> to mimic what "dtype" from numpy python module managed to do (a type/schema
> universal interface to describe types and their binary layouts, b/w
> packages and programming languages) ?

Indeed. That is what the zebrapack/zebra (https://github.com/glycerine/
zebrapack/blob/master/zebra/zebra.go) package does.  Each generated _gen.go
file contains the msgpack2 and json representation of the schema used.
Schemas look like this example https://github.com/glycerine/
zebrapack/blob/master/testdata/my.z.json