The problem is expanding shell meta characters like *, ? and ~ is a
property of the _shell_, as Dan mentioned above. You are executing a
command directly so the shell is not involved and cannot expand *.json into
a list of files ending with .json.

A cheap solution to this might be something like

util.ExecuteCommandWithOuput(exec.Command("sh", "-c", cp", "-r", *.json",
artifact.dir))

Which will pass your command to sh to run, and thus expand (untested, but
should be close).