As of go1.8, do conversions between strings and byte slices always generate
a copy?

I understand the immutability guarantees in the language spec, but I'm
interested in this from an efficiency standpoint. I can imagine a compiler
that analyzes whether a byte slice created from such a conversion is ever
modified and foregoing the copy in some cases, while still adhering to the
immutability guarantees.

I have searched this forum for a past thread on this topic but have come up
empty. Feel free to point me to the relevant discussion.