On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 13:02:15 -0800
Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan <vdhar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to send a lot of UDP packets from Go code but I realized
> UDP performance is too low. The max I was able to do is about
> 160Mbps. This is in Ubuntu 16.10 on x86_64 (i7-6700HQ).
>
> I tried to google on this and it looks like this is about the
> performance we can get. I am a bit surprised.
>
> Am I missing something? Any suggestions on how to improve the
> performance?

You could estimate what a "dumb sender written in C" could produce:

On the receiver box, do:

  # apt install netcat-openbsd
  $ nc -k -u -l 6666 >/dev/null

On the sender box, do:

  # apt install netcat-openbsd pv
  $ pv </dev/zero | nc -u receiver_ip 6666

and see what speed pv will show to you.

On my old Intel E8400 Core2Duo machine I get circa 900MiB when
transferring between a two endpoints on the localhost using a pair of
netcats.