* Dave Cheney <d...@cheney.net> [170418 09:57]:
> > Apparently Dave Cheney says to prefer "go install" over "go build"[3],
> except when cross-compiling [4]. However, many of these posts are older,
> and Golang moves at such a rapid clip that it's difficult to keep track of
> what everybody is doing.
>
> This information is still correct.
>
> On Friday, 10 February 2017 02:55:25 UTC+11, Jonathan Yu wrote:
> >
> > Hello Gophers!
> >
> > There's a fair amount of documentation available[0] about how "go install"
> > works, particularly in contrast to "go build,"[1,2] but not a lot about
> > which one is more idiomatic/preferred.  Using the standard toolchain, it
> > seems there's three ways to build your applications:

I use "go build" in the "edit, build, test, repeat" cycle, and only use
go install when I have what I consider to be a working program.  Often,
this involves incrementing the version and adding a version tag to the
repo.

If I used go install during edit-test, I would often have a non-working
executable in my path, so I would not be able to use the program for
"real" work while I am knee-deep in a bug fix or implementing a new
feature.

Dave's mileage obviously varies from mine, which is fine.  However, I
believe my use case and reasoning is common enough that I believe it is
counterproductive to try to declare one way or the other to be "The
Idiomatic Way".  This just boils down to personal preference and work
flow, and trying to tell others that one way is the "preferred" way is
wrong.

...Marvin