You should use gometalinter to check your code for warnings/suggestions.
That will help you write better code and you’ll know where your code is
erroring out. I use vim-go to have this integration in my editor itself.

I ran your code against gometalinter and this is what I have.

➜ $?=0 /tmp/temp [10:28AM]  % gometalinter --enable-all
main.go:22::warning: line is 1388 characters (lll)
main.go:22:194:warning: "ridiculus" is a misspelling of "ridiculous" (misspell)
main.go:16:7:warning: exported const TestDataCount should have comment
or be unexported (golint)
main.go:26:9:warning: error return value not checked
(f.Write([]byte(data))) (errcheck)
main.go:20::warning: Errors unhandled.,LOW,HIGH (gas)
main.go:26::warning: Errors unhandled.,LOW,HIGH (gas)
main.go:10:6:warning: func random is unused (U1000) (unused)
main.go:10:1:warning: random is unused (deadcode)

>>>  6s elasped...
➜ $?=1 /tmp/temp [10:28AM]  %

​

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 12:56 AM, <ken.kofi.acq...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> const TestDataCount = 20000
> func main() {
> bar := pb.StartNew(TestDataCount)
> f,_ := os.Create("HelloWorld.txt")
> for i := 0; i < TestDataCount; i++ {
> data = data + "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.
> Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor. Aenean massa. Cum sociis natoque
> penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Donec
> quam felis, ultricies nec, pellentesque eu, pretium quis, sem. Nulla
> consequat massa quis enim. Donec pede justo, fringilla vel, aliquet nec,
> vulputate eget, arcu. In enim justo, rhoncus ut, imperdiet a, venenatis
> vitae, justo. Nullam dictum felis eu pede mollis pretium. Integer
> tincidunt. Cras dapibus. Vivamus elementum semper nisi. Aenean vulputate
> eleifend tellus. Aenean leo ligula, porttitor eu, consequat vitae, eleifend
> ac, enim. Aliquam lorem ante, dapibus in, viverra quis, feugiat a, tellus.
> Phasellus viverra nulla ut metus varius laoreet. Quisque rutrum. Aenean
> imperdiet. Etiam ultricies nisi vel augue. Curabitur ullamcorper ultricies
> nisi. Nam eget dui. Etiam rhoncus. Maecenas tempus, tellus eget condimentum
> rhoncus, sem quam semper libero, sit amet adipiscing sem neque sed ipsum.
> Nam quam nunc, blandit vel, luctus pulvinar, hendrerit id, lorem. Maecenas
> nec odio et ante tincidunt tempus. Donec vitae sapien ut libero venenatis
> faucibus. Nullam quis ante. Etiam sit amet orci eget eros faucibus
> tincidunt. Duis leo. Sed fringilla mauris sit amet nibh. Donec sodales
> sagittis magna. Sed consequat, leo eget bibendum sodales, augue velit
> cursus nunc,\n"
> bar.Increment()
> }
> bar.FinishPrint("The End!")
> f.Write([]byte(data))
> }
>
> and once the variable data gets to a certain size, the program just halts.
> I have been experiencing this problem with a number of variables I am
> working with while programming,* and this as never been a problem until
> today. *Did I change something with my environment that causes the
> program to pause when it it encounters large variables? There is no error
> encountered, the progress bar just stops progressing for an indefinite
> period of time.
>
> $go env:
>
> GOARCH="amd64"
>
> GOBIN=""
>
> GOEXE=""
>
> GOHOSTARCH="amd64"
>
> GOHOSTOS="darwin"
>
> GOOS="darwin"
>
> GOPATH="/Users/kacquah/go"
>
> GORACE=""
>
> GOROOT="/usr/local/go"
>
> GOTOOLDIR="/usr/local/go/pkg/tool/darwin_amd64"
>
> GCCGO="gccgo"
>
> CC="clang"
>
> GOGCCFLAGS="-fPIC -m64 -pthread -fno-caret-diagnostics -Qunused-arguments
> -fmessage-length=0 -fdebug-prefix-map=/var/folders/rw/
> y6pvhwns1ll84hmqj713bhts3lrtvf/T/go-build011121998=/tmp/go-build

Cheers,
Abhijeet Rastogi (shadyabhi)