On Mon, Jul 31, 2017, at 07:39, ha...@arne.me wrote:
> Hey, I just released a Go Styleguide[1], please let me know what you think!
This is great!  Going to focus on criticisms because they have the most value,
but I really think it is excellent.
- Feels more like a best practices than a style guide
- Recommending specific non-stdlib packages in a guide like this tends to age
very poorly and put people off it who don't like zap, testify or gometalinter,
I would stick to stdlib and built in stuff -- maybe have an addendum or
separate document about currently best tools you recommend. - Don't
under-package.  I disagree with this one, as I think premature splitting of
packages often causes FAR more pain.  I would at a very least like to see more
justification for this one.  - Use Makefile if necessary.  I would make it more
generic, to use external scripted build system.  But I am not sure this belongs
in the document at all, it is picking a tool and I often find it (make) is not
good style or a best practice for a cross platform language like Go. - Use
internal packages.  This is something that has recently been annoying me about
various go libraries, some key functionality being tucked away out of an
abundance of caution.  I am not sure this should be a good starting point.
Like under-packaging, this is something where I think far more harm comes
prematurely deciding something should be internal.  I disagree with this
recommendation. - Go-bindata ... another specific tool recommendation I would
remove, it also tends to make the dev cycle more complex and has lots of
competition.  I have had this specific tool cause lots of confusion among
neophyte gophers.
The rest of it I by and large think is spot on -- I hope you continue to work
on it.
--
Robert Melton | rmel...@gmail.com

Links: