On 8 August 2017 at 08:15, <martin.r...@programmfabrik.de> wrote:

>> The Go philosophy is explicitly *not* to give you everything you want.
>> It *is* to give you everything you need to build everything you want,
>> like Lego.
>>

> Yeah right, when men still where real men and programmed their own device
> drivers...
>
> Or take a car, give me parts & tools and I am ready to give you a ride in
> say a year?
>

>> Every language is different. Any developer worth their salt won't dismiss
>> a tool out-of-hand for such a trivial reason.
>>

> No nobody would. But trivial things add up and then people run away or
> never sign up.
>
> I have learnt to never not listen to your (potential) users.
>
> If a new project comes on board of the Go train, people already have to
> wrap their heads around new (admittedly interesting) concepts, they have to
> accept "err != nil" spaghetti, distinction between Array and Slices, make
> and new, and so on.
>
> Personally I got really interested when I died around your standard
> library which I really like and it seems to give us exactly what we need,
> not too much, not too little.
>

>> Also, consider the fact that in Python, the same loop is happening. Go
>> just doesn't hide that from the developer, making it easier for us to
>> reason about things like performance. You can write your own "find"
>> function in seconds if you want one.
>>

> It just looks awkward:
>
>     contains := false
>     for _, n := range excluded_numbers {
>       if byte(m) == n {
>         contains = true
>       }
>     }
>     if !contains {
>
> Seriously? 2017?

I'd usually write that as as separate function:

func isExcluded(ns []byte, m byte) bool {
     for _, n := range ns {
          if  n == m {
               return true
     return false
}

For that *particular* case, you could always use
bytes.Index(excluded_numbers, byte(m)) >= 0
though.

Yes, it feels a little tedious sometimes, but if you
add up the number of times you actually have to do this,
it's generally not too much. There's a trade-off going
on here.

  cheers,
    rog.