I can't find the reference at the moment, but a while back when this issue
came up regarding slice len, Robert Griesmer opined that signed integers
are preferred when counting things because unsigned counts don't go
negative, they go insanely positive on wrap around. The rule of thumb I
draw from that is

- signed ints for counting things
- unsigned ints for bitfields and flags