Forgot to mention, gobot, embd all are fairly good bindings. For most thing
Pi related you can you can do straight I/O againsgt sysfs. Gobot provides
decent i2c & spi based sensor/breakout board bindings, while embd provides
most popular adafruit breakout board drivers (i2c/spi).
Several other sensors (like ds18b20) are 1 wire based and interaction is
same as gpio (I/O against sysfs).