Hey,

It really depends on couple factors and I am not sure I am following exactly
what body are you closing or supposed to close?
Also it depends on the client side of the connection and the keep-alive
settings of the connection.
The other factor is the actual load on the system.
If it's a Linux based server you should take a look at the output of ss or
netstat to understand if connections are on an ESTABLISHED state more then they
are supposed to be or,
that connections are on time_wait or another state.
If connections are on ESTABLISHED mode then one solution might fit but if it's
on time_wait or close_wait it's a whole other story.
The basic 1k or 4k FD limit is not a fit for a web server so if you are using
one of these upper the limit to 16k first and then see if you are still
affected by the issue.
..unless if you have too many connections in ESTABLISHED state and I would
encourage you to turn on iptables and use iptstate or conntrack utils to see
how many idle connections you are having.
I have used iptables connection tracking more then once to find out that indeed
closing idle connections which are maintaining the "keep-alive" are the cause
for similar issues.
Have you tried disabling "keep-alive"??

All The Bests,
Eliezer