On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 6:37 AM, Gerald Henriksen <ghenr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 13:57:03 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
>
> >"Go support for aarch64 is quite disappointing.
>
> >Qualcomm and other ARMv8
> >vendors intends to put significant engineering resources to amend this
> >situation, but really any one can contribute to Go. So if you want to live
> >your mark, now is the time."
>
> I would turn this around and say hardware support for aarch64 is quite
> disappointing, and as a result nobody is interested in developing for
> it (outside of certain companies who can either afford the hardware
> costs or are given the hardware).
>
> If the aarch64 hardware makers want the open source community to
> develop and test for aarch64, then they need to make appropriate
> hardware available to the community at a cost your average open source
> developer can afford.  Yes, it nice the blogger in question was given
> some (likely very expensive) hardware, but that doesn't apply to the
> community in general.

Presumably most of the development will be done by companies (such as
CloudFlare) that have a vested interest in a second vendor succeeding,
perhaps because of better performance for specific applications (more
cores, less energy, better price/performance ratio). Large open source
projects (e.g. Debian) will probably get sponsored machines. Smaller
projects would presumably be able to "rent" these processors on one of the
clouds and might receive some sponsorship as well.

> [and this is restriced to ARM, POWER has the same issue]

I assume you mean "not restricted" to ARM. POWER doesn't seem to have
really taken off (neither ARM at present, but certainly Centriq is
fascinating) despite being opened up (OpenPOWER). I'm not close enough to
either of these communities to speculate as to why this is so.

--
Jonathan Yu / *@jawnsy* on LinkedIn <https://linkedin.com/in/jawnsy>,
Twitter <https://twitter.com/jawnsy>, GitHub <https://github.com/jawnsy>,

“In an adaptive environment, winning comes from adapting to change by
continuously experimenting and identifying new options more quickly and
economically than others. The classical strategist's mantra of sustainable
competitive advantage becomes one of serial temporary advantage.” — Navigating
the Dozens of Different Strategy Options
<https://hbr.org/2015/06/navigating-the-dozens-of-different-strategy-options>
 (HBR)