What kind of confuses me around these discussions is, that there are rarely
complains about having to do the same thing with, say, python libraries. If
I press "fork" on a python library on github, people can't just "pip
install" it and get crackin'. They have to manually clone it and put it in
the correct spot to be found by the interpreter, or I have to choose a new
name for it and upload it to PyPI, so people can find it.

Well, same difference, just that a) in Go, the name/identity of a package
is conventionally scoped via a domain name, so that we don't need to give a
central authority the power over all our package names, to avoid conflicts
and b) this enables a cute, additional mechanism for discovering the
code-location, downloading it and storing it in the right place for the
compiler to discover it. But these are *extras*. Go isn't really doing
anything special or weird or different from anyone else, except that it
added a couple of conventions on top of it, to make it *more convenient*
than in other languages to distribute packages.

Stop thinking of Go import paths as some weird and strange concept screwing
up your life. It's just a name. And the whole purpose of a name is to
identify; so if you change the identity, change the name too and if you
don't want to change the name, don't be surprised that you can't just coopt
some other packages identity.