thanks for looking, you have understood and argued well against my points
being significant.

i was trying to show-up, and see if there was agreement, that this code
could benefit from some re-factoring/simplification.

but my problem is; i have an html doc that looks quite poor, but according
to the documentation shouldn't, so for now, i guess i'm going to have to
try to rewrite some comments so they look nice with, or without, the
'implicit rule' in effect, you know, in-case it goes away in the future.