You may want to consider using a type alias -- similar to how
golang.org/x/net/context <https://github.com/golang/net/tree/master/context>
is being transitioned to the standard library's context
<https://golang.org/src/context/context.go> package.

Also, Russ Cox wrote an excellent article about codebase refactoring
<https://talks.golang.org/2016/refactor.article>; I highly recommend it.