On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 7:57 AM, Matthijs Kooijman <matth...@stdin.nl> wrote:

>> I think the inconsistency in the handling of umask on *BSD systems is
>> a bug.  Please open an issue for that at https://golang.org/issue.
> Ok: https://github.com/golang/go/issues/23120
>
>> We've discussed in the past how much to document umask in the os
>> package.  After all, umask is a standard part of Unix operating
>> systems, and has no equivalent on non-Unix systems.  We do mention
>> umask very briefly in the docs for the Create function, and have done
>> so since the function was introduced in https://golang.org/cl/4357052.
>> I would be fine with a similar brief mention in the Mkdir docs.
> I went ahead and added a comment to the functions that use umask (not
> sure if it's all of them). I added a slightly longer remark: "The
> permissions passed are modified by the current umask, on platforms that
> support it.". I would think that being slightly more verbose is useful
> to let users know this happens, but is also platform-specific.
>
> Patch is here: https://go-review.googlesource.com/c/go/+/83775

Thanks.  I commented on the issue that I would like it to be less
verbose.  It's a minor detail for most people.  I think it should not
get many words, just what amounts to a reminder.  People who don't
know what the umask is are going to have to look it up anyhow, so more
words, but less than a full explanation, doesn't help.

Ian