Thank you Thomas for the link to the vips library. I didn't know about it
and now I want to read more about its design and internals.

The objective of the article was to set a baseline using the Go image
library and play with several factors to see how it affects performance. In
this first article, I wasn't really trying to come up with the fastest
possible image server but to point a few basic techniques that can improve
access speed and reduce memory consumption. These techniques should be
applicable to any image library, so similar relative performance gains can
be achieved with any language or library.

The next part, which I'm currently writing, proposes the snappy compression
as a way of improving access speed to the data.

Cheers,
Pablo