Unused variables and imports are strictly disallowed by the Go compiler.
Most of the time, I enjoy this benefit. These days, I've started to notice
how often things go dead and/or unused in my python code.

But, sometimes, this behavior is incredibly annoying. If I'm trying to
debug something by commenting out lines, or if I'm hacking up an
experimental script (meant to run with `go run`), I find this checking is
very unwanted. For example, if I comment out one variable, it may lead to a
new set of variables being unused, which sometimes leads back to a package
being unused. It's not uncommon for this cycle to take 3-5 iterations, in
my experience.

Quickly hacking up Go scripts would be improved by relaxing this
constraint, in my opinion.

Is finding a better compromise at all interesting or even possible? Are
parts of the compiler written to depend on the fact that variables are
definitely used?

My idea for a potential improvement (again, having zero knowledge of the
compiler requirements) is to move this checking to vet.

Thanks!