On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 9:42 AM,  <d...@veryhaha.com> wrote:

> On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 12:35:13 PM UTC-5, Jakob Borg wrote:
>>
>> On 26 Feb 2018, at 18:21, "di...@veryhaha.com" <di...@veryhaha.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 11:48:36 AM UTC-5, Jakob Borg wrote:
>>>
>>> On 26 Feb 2018, at 16:38, di...@veryhaha.com wrote:
>>>

>>> Will the "sync/atomic" package get broken?
>>> This atomic package imports unsafe.
>>>

>>> If changes to unsafe break sync/atomic it’s up to the Go team to fix
>>> sync/atomic before releasing. Much like it’s up to other package authors to
>>> make sure their packages work when unsafe changes, if they depend on package
>>> unsafe. You can depend on sync/atomic working.
>>
>> Show Quoted Content
>>>
>>> On 26 Feb 2018, at 16:38, di...@veryhaha.com wrote:
>>>

>>> Will the "sync/atomic" package get broken?
>>> This atomic package imports unsafe.
>>>

>>> If changes to unsafe break sync/atomic it’s up to the Go team to fix
>>> sync/atomic before releasing. Much like it’s up to other package authors to
>>> make sure their packages work when unsafe changes, if they depend on package
>>> unsafe. You can depend on sync/atomic working.
>>>
>>> On 26 Feb 2018, at 16:38, di...@veryhaha.com wrote:
>>>

>>> Will the "sync/atomic" package get broken?
>>> This atomic package imports unsafe.
>>>

>>> If changes to unsafe break sync/atomic it’s up to the Go team to fix
>>> sync/atomic before releasing. Much like it’s up to other package authors to
>>> make sure their packages work when unsafe changes, if they depend on package
>>> unsafe. You can depend on sync/atomic working.
>>

>> I mean whether or not the prototypes of the pointer functions in the
>> atomic packages will change?
>>

>> I think it's a safe bet that unsafe.Pointer will continue to exist.
>>
>> //jb
>

> But even if it exits, those pointer atomic functions will still become
> unusable if the unsafe mechanism is not supported any more.

The Go 1 compatibility guarantee, applied to the sync/atomic package,
ensures that the type unsafe.Pointer will continue to exist for the
duration of Go 1.

However, the precise details of how unsafe.Pointer may be used are
permitted to change.  And, in fact, they have changed in the past:
older versions of Go permitted uses of unsafe.Pointer that current
versions of Go do not permit.

Ian