The pointer logic is a hard part of Go. I don’t know how much performance
is gained by worrying about it, but I’ve learned to like having
function/method call argument copies in some cases.

I think becoming an expert on when to pick a pointer or not is a
fundamental part of Go programming. This shouldn’t be a subtle issue and
working around it invites poor code.

Matt