Reading from it and handling the errors is left to user. There are many
possible ways to handle it, so it's hard to guess in the finalizer what
user wants:
  a) print them on stderr
  b) push them to some logging infrastructure
  c) just plain ignore them (default behavior)
User may not want or expect to have stderr trashed by some messages from
libraries. Passing the errors through a common channel can help opt-in to
the feature.