That's basically what I have done, and it's both pretty declarative
(although not fully) and statically typed.

If you are interested, take a look at
https://github.com/cosmos72/gomacro/blob/master/example/make_fibonacci.gomacro
and the file it generates when executed by gomacro in preprocessor mode:
https://github.com/cosmos72/gomacro/blob/master/example/make_fibonacci.gomacro_output