On Sun, 13 May 2018 08:56:08 -0700 (PDT)
matthewju...@gmail.com wrote:

> My tools are my responsibility, so I’m wondering what stops the GCC,
> Go, or other open source authors from including practical jokes.

That depends on the jurisdiction and the kind of practical joke. But
it's a fact that software has contained practical jokes in the past, in
particular in cases where the software determined that it was running
without a proper license. So this does indeed happen and I've not heard
of any developer being sued for it.

> These license terms seem to remove all responsibility, and in certain
> hands that is an opportunity to cause some chaos. Why isn’t there a
> license section about intention of code implementation matching
> stated goals?

Ask yourself: If you can choose between having NO LIABILITY and having
just a little bit of liability, which option do you choose? Why would
you assume more liability than necessary? Are you Jesus or Gandhi?

> THE AUTHORS OF THIS SOFTWARE DID NOT INTENTIONALLY MAKE MISTAKES OR
> INCLUDE PRACTICAL JOKES.
>
> I’m not a lawyer, but I’d feel better about these tools if there was
> something like that followed by the fitness disclaimer.

And as an open source developer who does not get paid, I feel better if
I have no liability whatsoever. Now, if you were PAYING ME for my
services, then I will be happy to provide you with assurances that make
you feel better.

MSB

--
A naked man with a can of beans can eat only one meal
but play a hundred soccer games.