I am not thinking of a certain package.

The singleton problem is just one example.
I'll give you another one:

Let's say my library is a porcelain lib for creating PDFs,
that is using under the hood anthoer library that does
the real work.

So some of the resulting PDF files look different after the update, although
that difference come only from the underlying change of the core lib.

I can think of lots of variations on this theme. You might say: "It
depends...",
but then with a large project it might take a lot of time to go through all
these
changes and decide, if one would rate them as a breaking change.

So it boils down to: Am I reponsible for the upstream breakages, if I "pass
them through"
and if not: isn't it a false security to believe in semantic versioning
then?