* Michael Jones <michael.jo...@gmail.com> [180830 11:44]:
> The task to "translate a string through a table" is common. It is a single
> computer instruction (TR) in the IBM 360 and was extended over time with
> related instructions for conversion in and out of UTF-8, testing before and
> after translation, and expanded character sizes. Tamás Gulácsi's approach
> would be mine too.

Wow, that brings back memories!  The x86 has xlat as well, which can be
used with lodsb and stosb for efficient string translation.  The
question is whether the go compiler will produce optimized code using
these instructions.

I was not disagreeing with Tamás.  My point was simply that without
benchmarking, or prior in-depth knowledge of both how the Go compiler
translates these constructs to assembly and the characteristics of the
processor/motherboard/memory bus, it is hard to say which Go algorithm
is the fastest for the OP's data.

...Marvin