Firstly, my compliments to Russ, Robbert, and Ian, for patience,
thoughtfulness, and insight. Whatever the best answer is, no doubt your
intellectual process is an excellent way to find it.

My comment is a meta-comment, a question/proposal: *if generics arrive in
Go 2 then can we "go fix" Go 1 code to use this mechanism to replace the
existing built-in magic generics in Go?*

For example, if it is possible to implement *map* in ordinary library code,
then should it be the rule to do so? The heop is that accepting this as the
test for goodness simultaneously proves capability and reduces the
instances of magical compiler support in favor of a new orthogonal feature,
perhaps making Go 2 conceptually smaller, which seems a good goal.

--

*Michael T. jonesmichael.jo...@gmail.com <michael.jo...@gmail.com>*