Quoting Robert Engels (2018-09-23 13:38:04)
> I wasn’t suggesting that Go should resemble Java. I was just trying to point
> out that many of the current issues under debate for Go2 have been resolved
> quite well in other languages, and looking to them for direction should not
> be out of bounds just because they are not Go. That’s a little short sighted
> IMO.

Java doesn't allow basic types to be used in generics at all (except for
arrays, which are magic like Go's slices and maps are today). The issue
under discussion crops up because we want to be able to talk about both
MyGenericType(MyCustomType) and MyGenericType(int). The fact that basic
types are totally separated from objects is a big wart in the language,
so Java isn't really a great source of ideas re: how to deal with the
question currently under discussion.