Hello Ian,
   Since you mention about 32-bit SPARC, I did a little testing. It seems
that gccgo is compiling 32-bit binary by default:
-bash-4.3$ go build abcd.go
-bash-4.3$ file abcd
abcd:           ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC32PLUS Version 1, V8+
Required, dynamically linked, not stripped

However, it does not look like a 32-bit SPARC. Please see below:

-bash-4.3$ isainfo -v
64-bit sparcv9 applications
        crc32c cbcond pause mont mpmul sha512 sha256 sha1 md5 camellia des
aes
        ima hpc vis3 fmaf asi_blk_init vis2 vis popc
32-bit sparc applications
        crc32c cbcond pause mont mpmul sha512 sha256 sha1 md5 camellia des
aes
        ima hpc vis3 fmaf asi_blk_init vis2 vis popc v8plus div32 mul32

How would I compile a 64-bit executable? Maybe that would work (exporting
CFLAGS=-m64 does not seem to work)

Regards,
Aman