I understand very well what the risks of standardization can be. Look at
how the C language was maimed during standardization by 104 instances of
undefined behavior.

But that is not what I am getting at. Five years ago I was somewhat
involved in the effort to make Ruby an ISO standard language. From the get
go it was a largely bureaucratic effort. We specified a common sub set of a
then already old version of Ruby and made enough loopholes to make sure
that any Ruby out there could be considered confirming to the standard.

Why? You can perhaps not appreciate how powerful the bureaucrats can be in
some countries and corporations. Since Ruby became an ISO standard, I have
been able to convince those bureaucrats to let me use Ruby where I was
barred from doing so before.

For Go language it is now the same. Bureaucrats don't know Go, and because
it is not standardized, I often encounter a "no go". A Ruby style standard
that would allow developers to check the "ISO standard language" box would
allow us to convince those bureaucrats to let us use Go much more widely.

Like Michael Jones suggest, we would only standardize Go as it is, and not
use the standardization process to let it decide the language features. And
only update the standard once the new features are settled. That avoids
design by committee as well.

For these reasons I think, when done properly, the effort will be worth
while in the end.

Kind Regards,

B.