I think there is a bigger concern than shipping binaries. I believe that the Go
stdlib and runtime should be shipped as a shared library, and be field
upgradable independent of the binaries. This is the only reasonable way to to
distribute security patches in an efficient and stable manner.

This is another issue, but there is some cross-over with this discussion.