On Sunday, 28 October 2018 15:31:54 UTC+1, Robert Engels wrote:

> To clarify, think of the performance improvements in the GC in Go from 1.1
> to 1.11. Amazing. But you only get these via recompiling which is a
> barrier. Many java installations frequently get performance improvements
> with no code changes or recompilation. This is why I’ve been investigating
> packaging Go binaries with dynamic linkage to the runtime and stdlib.

In what sense are you or have you been investigating?

The things I see which are blockers to this are
1.  The compiler/runtime are intimately linked, and free to evolve over
time.  So the runtime API to the compiled code isn't even fixed in a way
that dynamic-linking would work across versions.
2. The runtime itself manages stacks, so there would need to be some
assumptions about operating context when it could be linked.  For example,
if it were linked while the stack is high/deep, then where would the
runtime put the stack?  where would the runtime system stack be placed?

It's very different than applying a runtime to byte code.

Scott