Thanks for bumping this. I had intended to respond.

There is a fundamental difference between reading English prose (or
whatever your native language is) and code; prose is read as a
continuous stream while code is often read in a random access manner.
An interesting point here is that natural language writing like
reference manuals actually do often include things similar to syntax
highlighting where key points are bolded, underlined or italicised in a
manner broader than is common in prose.

The other point here is that syntax highlighting is not restricted to
altering the colours of parts of speech. For example, I use semantic
highlighting (what I jokingly call Hawaiian style) that colours labels
based on their hash (my theme also renders keywords in an intensity
diminished form since they are largely punctuation in my reading). This
helps me recognise patterns in code much more quickly.

Is it a crutch, sure, but until you're editing with butterfly wing
flaps, we're all using crutches.

Dan